Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bento Lunches

This year, I am dabbling in sending my kids to school with bento lunches to school. I stumbled upon this site and I was intrigued. We are trying to a) save money, b) eat healthy and c) be "green."

Bento lunches have their roots in Asian countries, but seeing some of the Americanized versions opened my eyes to the possibilities. While rice is a traditional ingredient, I have found many other fun things to play with.

Current struggles:
  • differences in taste preferences between the girls.
  • differences in portion sizes for the two girls.
  • ways to incorporate leftovers in lunches.
  • ways to make lunch look fun and stay that way.
I love that bento lunches mean that I'm using fewer plastic bags, which means savings at the store and for the environment, so that's always a good thing.

In this blog, I plan to share some of the lunches I have made for the munchkins. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment